Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The sounds.

Normally i have heard, people, talking about 'jet lag'. I used to wonder what is all the fuss about? After traveling from Chennai to US of A, I am experiencing the above said experience myself. During daytime, I used to fall asleep, at the fall of night, say around 7p.m., I used to get 'fresh' as if the day just dawned for me. Now coming to the subject, already i am having a tough time keeping awake at nights, adding insult to injury is the 'sound' produced by the machines here.

My daughter dumps all the clothes in the 'washing machine' only at night & when it starts functioning it will make such a noise to keep me awake at least for a few hours at night.

Next comes the noise from the 'dish washer'. I still don't give up & try to compose myself & try to make another attempt to sleep. The struggle goes on & finally I am asleep by early morning.

So another day dawns & i hafta brush my teeth, open the tap & you get a noise till I finish brushing my teeth, washing my face & close the tap.

I enter the kitchen to heat my 'tea', that was already prepared by daughter's ma in law. I hafta micro -wave it, open the micro wave; keep the mug inside; switch on; u get a loud noise until the setting time gets over & I take the mug away.

Its time for me to take a shower, so I take my daughter along with me so that I don't do things wrong & gain confidence. My daughter made a 'demonstration' for the whole process like opening the tap; turning it to the left if I need hot water; pulling the bottom portion of the tap underneath, if i want to have a shower. I listened everything carefully & did exactly what my daughter asked one by one. Satisfied that I learnt things pucca, I closed the tap & heard a bursting sound & held my daughter firmly. My daughter raised her right 'palm' asking me to keep my cool & explained it's the sound arising from the closing of the extension of the tap. No more shower for me nor the loud noise of the tap underneath!

Now its time for my daughter & son in law to go to office, they open the garage with a remote control, again you get the loud sound of the 'garage' opening up & shutting till they take the car out.

Now come evening, my son in law comes with a 'Robot' like vacuum cleaner in his hand only to make more noise :(, I heard it has a purpose of cleaning the carpet also:).

This being the winter season, I want to take hot water, I took a big cup near the fridge to take water, pushed the lever as taught by my daughter & got scared to view some broken 'glass pieces' falling down from the fridge, lucky, Ramya's ma in law was close by, to console me saying, it's just the 'ice cubes' that fell from the other lever since I was pressing both the levers together with the big cup.

Now, after dinner, it's time to load the 'dish washer' again & so the cycle goes on. Normally we Indians keep the kitchen sink clean mostly(habits die hard). For myself, I clean the teamugs; ceramic bowls & glass bowls then & there. I was seriously concentrating in my cleaning process, opening the tap & took my hands out 'involuntarily' when i heard a sound like a 'mixer' running. My daughter has just switched on the 'in built' mixer like unit in the kitchen sink, to crush the skin peels off & other solid wastes that block the way. After seeing her signaling me to keep my cool until the noise gets over, she explained whats the noise about.

Now its 12 at midnight & I'm trying to sleep 'with the noise' around. I didn't know when I fell asleep, when i looked out from my window, it looked as if, its early morning, but was surprised to hear the 'drrooooom' motor like noise still continuing, could not help myself much since everybody in the house were in the 7th heaven, that early in the morning. Waited patiently for another few hours. Came breakfast time, i slowly opened the topic to Kamal's dad about the 'motor' like noise thru out the night; he just laughed & said that its the sound produced by the 'heater' outside, which checks the temperature of the house & other heating process concerned with the water.

All said & done, I only pray The Almighty, that, I get used to all the sounds of the US of A in the course of time.

No comments: