Sunday, November 25, 2007

Gym

"Ma! Be ready by 6.30p.m. to go to the GYM" told my daughter;
'What for'? I asked;
"You are going to walk on the tread mill today";
"But you know that I don't like walking on a tread mill, since I have motion sickness" I retorted back.
"You will be fine ma; remember I will also be there with you",
"But you are already thin & under weight;",
she interrupted ; "I din't say I am also gonna walk on the tread mill; I'll bring some novel for time pass" saying this, she left for office.

Now another cause for worry for me. Some how I have a phobia for these 'escalators; moving-walkways; any unit under motion for that matter; now I have to walk on the tread mill :(.

Evening my daughter came sharp at 6.30p.m. & took me to the GYM. After the initial formalities for registration got over, I was asked to stand on a tread mill. I just looked around & felt very nervous. A girl around 25, running on the tread mill may be at speed 6! Another guy doing the 'pedalling' that was inclined almost vertically! Another doing the cycling at the speed of 100kms per hour!

I pleaded with my daughter that we will come some other day, but, after having paid for the registration, she didn't want to give up & persuaded me to start walking on the tread mill. First I was asked to hold the front handle so that i don't fall. Then she instructed me to walk slowly at 0.5 speed. I started walking & felt it was too slow; then she increased it to speed 1. Then to speed 2, which was little high for me & I asked her to make the speed 1.5.

Soon I started walking smoothly without getting nervous. Still I could not avoid the feeling of embarrassment seeing the 'speed' (& enthusiasm) that people around were having (Suthi ellame pei madiri odindirundudu!).

Now as I was walking, a pleasant thought came to my mind that I not only start walking regularly, but also develop a liking for walking on the treadmill with the net result that I increase the duration every day resulting in losing weight moderately. I fly back to my home town; people start exclaiming "Hey! its you!!! how come you have lost so much of weight? Hiding my feelings ( of course i feel so proud naturally:), I reply back "Oh! everytime I'll make up my mind, but will give up halfway; but this time because of my daughter, I could see some results". Oh! your daughter seems to be really smart; thats double happiness for me!

Didn't watch the time, as to how long I walked on the tread mill. I just checked the unit. It said I have walked for 15 minutes. I just wanted to see the calories I spent. After all, it was to minus that extra calories that I am put to all this ordeal is it not?. It was showing just 23 calories :(.

I became furious & turned to my daughter who was engrossed in the novel. Convincing myself a bit more, I walked for another 10 minutes; now the new reading showed 31 calories. Finally I stopped the unit; got down myself & went to my daughter, my face turning red.

"Hello! I walked for about 25 minutes just to spend 31 calories? This is highly ridiculous", my daughter looked up & was asking in a low tone, "What went wrong with you & why did you stop walking, when the target was at least 3o minutes, today being day one?"

I cooled down myself a bit, viewing the people around & told my daughter about the calories it showed & how much I was disappointed. Realising my cause for anger, my daughter, calmed me a bit & just walked straight to the car.

After reaching home, my daughter prepared hot tea; offered me a glass. 'The cup that cheers; but never inebriates"; I have heard often, my father quoting this & I experienced it:). "You know that I am not comfortable with this tread mill & all", I started speaking to my daughter; "still I cooperated & walked on the treadmill for 25 minutes, but the result is, I have just spent 33 calories?":(, I Waited for my daughter's reaction.

"Ma! before you started on your tread mill, you had a look around; did not you?" "Yeah!, but most of them were walking at a speed of 5 or 6 & some with inclined steps too" I replied. "Exactly; that is what you also have to do slowly. Walking at speed 1 or 1.5 would not help much. If you really want to shed those extra pounds, you have to slowly increase your speed", explained my daughter.

The scene came in to my mind, with the girl running at speed 6; the guy who was pedalling like climbing a mountain. Could not help thinking that Life gets difficult at times.

"Ma! be ready by 7p.m. today to go the GYM, since I have some extra work today". "Yeah! I will" I replied.

Today I am really going to make a try, for speed 2.5 at least :).

3 comments:

RS said...

Nicea nee ipadi blog ezhudi enna villi madiri portray panita!!! Kadasila nee 0.001 secondsku thaan nadanthandra vishayam yaarukume teriyaadu :))

BUS said...

aunty - kalakuringe!!! blogging, gymming - super auntya marindu varinge ...

yet to read all ur other posts...just like I tell RS I will definitely read ur other posts as well...keep writing!!

Jaya said...

to rs
this is really too much, nee ippadi enna expose pannaradhu. I'll get a chance too; wait & see.
to bus
appaadi! atlast i got a cool comment for my bogging:). Thanx a ton bus. U read my other previous posts also. Yeah! i need encouragement; comments are welcome!