Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Food culture

Oh!Oats again; no way; I was screaming at my daughter. "Ma! u weigh way too high & u never bothered to keep a check; its high time you try to reduce your weight"replied my daughter in a strict voice. The argument continued & finally i have to give in.

It was just a week since I came here to stay with my daughter. The 1st few days i was not facing any problem & was happy preparing uppuma; dosas & idlis for breakfast. Had white rice for lunch, (though not tasty as in Chennai) & dinner. So, today when I was given 'oats', I was totally disappointed.

Convinced my self a little, saying, for lunch, I can make up; but that was not to be. I opened the ceramic bowl & what did i see? Some brown color dish. I looked at my daughter faintly. "Ma! this is brown rice which has less calories really healthy". It may be healthy, but who will take it? i retorted back; but then, I did not have any other choice but to consume it. Sure, it neither tasted good nor had any flavour like white rice.

Evenings went with few bread slices with some sauce smeared on it. Somehow I am comfortable only with milk bread, but the dictator of the house thinks otherwise, Wheat bread is the most healthy & it is good even for a diabetic is my daughter's version. Now No white bread; nor butter, nor jam since they all add to my calories:(. Some how convinced myself since i was offered 'ginger tea' (my favourite) along with the wheat bread:).

They say 'offence is the best form of defence'. So, I gathered little courage & asked my daughter for night dinner, can I have some chapaathis atleast? With a beamimg smile my darling daughter kept a plate with a steaming dish. I gave a puzzled look at my daughter, since I almost lost confidence that it is going to be tasty. What with the oats; the wheat bread
; the brown rice, the whole lot that never inspired me. Finally, out of curiosity, I asked what the dish was. Oh! this is called lapsi & it is made of cracked wheat. With so much of hesitation i tried to taste it. No need to tell how it tasted.

Sweet memories came in to my mind. In Chennai, I was the queen with regards to cooking & eating. Come morning its hot dosa or fluffy idlis for breakfast. For lunch it is 'small onion' sambar with crispy potato curry; rasam; curd rice with lemon pickles. Evenings, I will prepare some poori potato or maggie noodles with lots of vegetables & masala. Night dinner channa patora or raajma masala with chappathis or pav bhaaji & the like:(.

Coming back to reality, I do miss all that I enjoyed with regard to food; but as my daughter firmly believes 'invest in your health first' any other priorities take a back seat; including the 'urge' to eat whatever I wish :).

5 comments:

IBH said...

Aunty , that was awesome..i am a major fan for RS's writing and now urs...:)

plus, it is funny that you are calling your daughter the Dictator of the house' :)

But seriously, is she really making you eat brown rice?

Unknown said...

Dear Athai - good to read your blog. Glad to hear that Ramya is being the dictator :)
Keep writing!!!
- Abhi

Prem said...

Idhu enna kodumai...Brown Rice, Oatmeal (how does that taste..I've never eaten till now and very likely that I won't be trying in the future too). I still love Indian food (who cares about calories). Apparum Kezhvaragu kanchi mattum than sappida mudiyum

All said and done, listen to the "dictator" because that's going to keep you hale and healthy.

Do continue to write about your ordeals in US of A.

Prem

Jaya said...

To ibh; really!! u made my day. I do take brown rice but once a week only:).

To abhi; thanx. Inga pozhudu poaga maattaengaradhu; so ipdi edaavadhu kottals ezhudi time pass pannaraen:).

To prem; romba atthaikkaaga urugaadha. I dont take brown rice that often :). BTW, b4 ramya starts the kaezvaraghu, i w'ld be in chennai; so no regrets :).

skip said...

Hello..,

It might have been a while since you posted this but in my opinion, drastic changes to one's diet does not work.. when the craving for our regular food overcomes us, we will tend to overcompensate.. I think you should make small changes to your diet.. for instance, eat the same food you used to but reduce the quantity to half of what you used to eat before and suppliment with fruits and vegetables to make up for the rest. Also, drinking a lot of water helps.. As you get used to this and the weight starts to drop off, you will be motivated to do additional things (like exercise or walking or even eating Oatmeal!) to keep off the weight.. just my 2 cents :-)